Friday 13 April 2012

Julie Arkell's I've Dusted The Farmyard Exhibition

NB long post!!

I've been a big fan of Julie Arkell's for about a year so when  I saw she had a solo exhibition at The Bluecoat Centre  in Liverpool I sweet talked Mr Lucey into a couple of days away.

We put the dogs into the kennels  and  set off early on Tuesday morning and headed stright  for  the centre, there must have been over 100 of her pieces there all absolutely gorgeous  and I wasn't leaving without one!!!





The figures were all beautifully dressed and they all had words embroidered on their dresses,










I adored the houses with their chimneys


and spidery, childlike writing on the side



all beautifully hand sewn,



and with little knitted paths.



Then there were gorgeous brooches, some were  pinned onto an old brown jumper



 others in a "house of dolls"



and even a whole bunch of  wild flowers.




Julie had made lots of trees, a little duck on a pond, toadstools, donkeys and beds, clouds and even ladders, after an hour and a half Mr Lucey said "hurry up and and choose one" so decisions decisions I narrowed it down to just four!



"A friend for Heidi"




"I've just found a pencil" (back left)



"I love wool"



and,  "Pretending to be some one else"

I loved them all equally so which one shall I have???



I thought I'd have to leave my "arklet" at the centre until the end of the exhibition but the lovely girls behind the counter said as I'd come a long way I coulld take it home with me,  I tell you that carrier bag never left my hand for the rest of the day!!!

So here it is, my gorgeous "arclet" who I've named "red riding woolf"





I started to write this late yesterday afternoon but as the night wore on I started to feel unwell and suddenly I had the most awful pains in my stomach as I went into the toilet I fainted then when I come round I collapsed and my mouth and fingers went blue so Mr Lucey called an ambulance (which was here within a minute) and after loads of tests I felt a lot better and declined to go to hospital. I felt like I couldn't sleep all night as I was thinking about had I "gone" what a shock it would have been for the family and what about all the things I wanted  to do. I'm feeling a lot better this morning and if you don't mind I'll take some better pics and post later when I've had a little "play"  and decide where "red riding woolf" is  going as I have a doggie with a fondness for dolls!!!

Lucey x  ".."








16 comments:

somewhere on the avenue said...

Glad to hear you are feeling better!!
I discovered Julies work a few months back, its adorable and so simple. You know you dont "need" one of her beautiful items, but you just have to have one. No reasons required!

VintageVicki said...

I hope you are feeling - what a horrid shock. Make sure MrLucey looks after you.

I love Red Riding Wolf - what a perfect name.

KC'sCourt! said...

Oh how horrible. I have only every fainted once and that was horrible, but to awake with blue mouth and fingers. How are you feeling now?

I would loved to have gone to the exhibtion, I would also like to go on one of her courses but I don't think that will ever happen!

I love little Red Riding Wolf
Julie xxxxxx

LaaLaa said...

I hope you're feeling better today, lovely. I've text and emailed you. It sounds like you need to look after YOU for a bit.

I love Red Riding Woolf? I have to say I'm not usually a fan of her stuff but I love your pictures. You've made her grow on me. Xxx

Sally said...

Gosh what a horrid shock after such a wonderful time at the exhibition. Rest and play with RRW, hope you are better soon x
(Thanks for the excellent photos by the way!)

Carol said...

Oh what a shock for you, glad to hear you are doing a bit better, hope you are soon fully recovered.
Thank you for sharing your trip to the Julie Arkell exhibition, great photos. I went on one of her one day courses last year - just love her work.
Red Riding Hood is wonderful, what a special treasure.
Take care and have a lovely weekend.
Carol xx

Daisy said...

I hope you're ok. Your post is lovely and your Arklet is wonderful creature. I really want to go now. Hugs xxx

Gilly Tee said...

Hope your feeling better,what frightening thing to happen. I'm so jealous of your "little red riding woolf"
I love her stuff.
Gillx

Rose H (UK) said...

Oh goodness, I'm sorry to read that you've 'had a turn' and sincerely hope you are feeling much better.
What unusual things, I think you've chosen veryu well though!
Sending a hug
Rose H

Josie-Mary said...

oh my goodness.... I hope you're feeling much better today.
Thanks for sharing your lovely photo's. I like LRRW best! :)

Kandi said...

So sorry to hear you've not been well, I hope you are much better now. Youe new wolf is quite sweet I do love that old jumper full of brooches.
Take care of yourself.
Kandi x

Jenny said...

Oh how scary for you, glad you are feeling better now. It is really frightening when things like that happen especially if you don't know the cause. Take care of yourself! I love red riding hood, you chose well :) I wish we lived a bit closer so I could go to the exhibition but Somerset is just too far, looks wonderful though! Enjoy the rest of your weekend, Jenny x

two bones and a bagle said...

Firstly I hope you are feeling much better and secondly I love your new Arklet. I will be seeing Julie next weekend, I think, when she visits Lou's studio I will tell her that you loved her exhibition. Get better soon. Debs x.

Country Rabbit said...

wowza, such a lovely post- her work and creations are just such joy! i love her style and vintage looking pieces. love the wolf!. Its best to get these things checked out with your doc even if you didnt want to go to hospital- just to make sure all is ok? hope you're miles better tho, best wishes xx

Ticking stripes said...

Lovely lovely post but sorry you were unwell. Julie is an inspirational lady and I'm so looking forward to seeing her with Debs (two bones and a bagle) this weekend. I think we will be making the little brooches and I'm afraid I pinched the idea and pinned mine to my Dads old slipover from the 1940s for a similar look! What a decsion to have to make! How lovely to have your own.

♥ emma bear forever ♥ said...

Hope your feeling a lot better now lovely. Gorgeous pics. Must admit I have not heard of her but have made a mental note to go look her up on the good old internet. Best wishes x